Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for Decision Making Process for the formation of our Foundation
On 6/6/19 9:11 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to propose the following approach for the Project as to
handle the decisions that need to be answered before we can formally
form a Foundation for the Project.

There are topics like those raised in the ongoing name/logo thread,
but I foresee many more in the future, regarding such as things like
budgets, membership dues, etc.

These discreet aspects of our Projects governance will need to be
decided, and the community at large should be involved in those
decisions.

At the same time, I think we all want to avoid being stuck in endless
loops of endless discussions and endless votes.

My proposal is as follows

- Topics surrounding the formation of the Foundation should be raised
for discussion on opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- If the discussion produces a clear consensus, as interpreted by the
openSUSE Board, then the Board should vote to adopt that consensus as
a formal decision of the Project. This vote should require a 2/3s
Majority of the Board like required under the Board Election Amendment
rules [1]
- The interpretation of consensus by the Board should be communicated
in advance of any vote by the Board, and should be open to challenge
on the opensuse-project mailinglist.
- If the discussion does not produce a clear consensus, a vote of
openSUSE Members should be conducted
- The result of any vote that involves at least 2/3s of the current
membership will be considered immediately binding as a formal decision
of the Project
- The result of any vote that receives less than 2/3s of the current
membership will not be considered binding, but will be considered
indicative.
- The openSUSE Board will then be expected to interpret that
indicative result and conduct its own vote on the topic, requiring a
2/3s majority for any decision.

To give a real world example - the above policy would mean that the
current Name/Logo discussion is on track for a membership vote, as no
one in their right mind should think that the discussion has a clear
consensus :)

The above proposal would only apply for individual aspects of the
overarching effort to establish a Foundation for the Project. I do not
propose it should apply for the actual formation of the Foundation.

For that I believe there should be a final confirmatory vote of the
openSUSE Membership.
That should require 2/3s participation to be considered valid, and it
will be that vote that will formally reflect the communities agreement
or rejection of the formation of a Foundation for the Project.
I feel the Board should not have a fallback role on such a significant
topic for the Project.
Failure of the vote to receive 2/3rs participation in the vote should
be considered a rejection of the Foundation, due to lack of sufficient
interest from the Membership.

If everyone agrees, I think the above model should let us move quickly
on many aspects of the Foundation we need to approach in the coming
months, while ensuring everyone has their chance to have their say.
It should also ensure that we're all collectively happy both on
individual aspects of the Foundation and the concept as a whole once
we have a better picture of what it will look like in practice.

Regards

Thanks, well formulated, IMHO.

For what it's worth +1 from me on this approach.

Later,
Robert

Richard
Writing as an individual contributor (ie. I didn't discuss this with
my Board colleagues before posting it)

[1] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board_election_rules

Distinguished Architect LINUX
Technical Team Lead Public Cloud