Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for Decision Making Process for the formation of our Foundation

On 07/06/2019 17:19, Patryk Zera wrote:
To bring the whole voting process in line with Board voting I would also
propose that 20% of membership is required to replace foundation or change
aspects of it.

Which is nonsense.

As I see it, we as a Project need input from at least majority of members in such major and important topics.
This is deciding future. You can't put it in hands of 20%. Add "I abstain", "I don't
care" or something similar to get neutral input in voting but I think Project need to hear
"something" from membership. If such voting is binding from 20% because we fear that not many more
Members will even care to vote then why even bother with setting this artificial border - just accept any
voting result.

peace,
Patryk Zera

This isn't as crazy as it seems, 20% which from memory our current membership is 400ish so 80 people would be required to sign a partition, then fresh elections are held where the existing board members can still run again so if the other 300 people disagree with the first 20% they can just re elect the existing board. But this clause is just a failsafe thats always been there, hopefully we will never need to use it.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30