Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for Decision Making Process for the formation of our Foundation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 20:24:25 +0200
Richard Brown wrote:

My proposal is as follows

- Topics surrounding the formation of the Foundation should be raised
for discussion on opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- If the discussion produces a clear consensus, as interpreted by the
openSUSE Board, then the Board should vote to adopt that consensus as
a formal decision of the Project. This vote should require a 2/3s
Majority of the Board like required under the Board Election Amendment
rules [1]
- The interpretation of consensus by the Board should be communicated
in advance of any vote by the Board, and should be open to challenge
on the opensuse-project mailinglist.
- If the discussion does not produce a clear consensus, a vote of
openSUSE Members should be conducted
- The result of any vote that involves at least 2/3s of the current
membership will be considered immediately binding as a formal decision
of the Project
- The result of any vote that receives less than 2/3s of the current
membership will not be considered binding, but will be considered
indicative.
- The openSUSE Board will then be expected to interpret that
indicative result and conduct its own vote on the topic, requiring a
2/3s majority for any decision.

I strongly disagree with the last paragraph. If 2/3s participation is
required for a valid decision, and we fail to motivate 2/3s of the
community to vote, the result _must_ be a 'no'. This is an immensely
important decision, even if the community should fail to recognize
that, I do not agree we should leave it to the board.

The above proposal would only apply for individual aspects of the
overarching effort to establish a Foundation for the Project. I do not
propose it should apply for the actual formation of the Foundation.

Agree.

For that I believe there should be a final confirmatory vote of the
openSUSE Membership. That should require 2/3s participation to be
considered valid, and it will be that vote that will formally reflect
the communities agreement or rejection of the formation of a
Foundation for the Project.

Agree.

I feel the Board should not have a fallback role on such a significant
topic for the Project.
Failure of the vote to receive 2/3rs participation in the vote should
be considered a rejection of the Foundation, due to lack of sufficient
interest from the Membership.

Agree.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.4°C)