  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 19:50:57 +0200

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 05. Juni 2019 um 18:28 Uhr
Von: "Xaver Hellauer" <xaver@hellauer.bayern>
An: "opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Project name and logo discussion

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 5:31 PM, Ish Sookun <ish.sookun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I really was upset when it was changed from SuSE and again SUSE, but
understand the need to move to openSUSE. I believe the effort needed to
resolve all the necessary issues is much better expended on further
development of our distribution. and Leap and Tumbleweed should remain
distinctive sub "brand" names for openSUSE.

How about having a foundation name different as the distro name and we
get to keep openSUSE? Something like:

        +--------------------+
        | Example Foundation |
        +---------+----------+

            +-----+----+
            | openSUSE |
            +----+-----+

        v--------+----------v
       +------+      +------------+
       | Leap |      | Tumbleweed |
       +------+      +------+-----+

                     v------+-----v
                 +-------+    +---------+
                 | Kubic |    | MicroOS |
                 +-------+    +---------+

How about just giving a new name to the foundation loosely tied to the
existing brand (e.g. Squamata Foundation) and just dropping the "openSUSE"
without replacement. The distributions do have names already. So basically
"openSUSE Tumbleweed" becomes "Tumbleweed" and "openSUSE Leap" becomes "Leap"
with highly visible release names (maybe different lizards) like Debian's and
Ubuntu's releases. In my opinion this would be beneficial to marketing.
Everybody cares about "Disco Dingo", but "15.2" sounds quite boring.
Dropping the "openSUSE" has the following benefits:
* Seemingly cutting ties to a Novell/Microsoft Deal/"Corporate Overlord" past
without creating "SUSE is abandonning openSUSE" FUD.
* Tumbleweed and Leap are recognizable brands with very different audiences,
they don't need an umbrella name (like Fedora and CentOS don't have one
either).
* Not being called anything *SUSE* might help making Packman (or at least
some of the packman packages) more official, which would help making it more
easy to install them (Ubuntu-easy, not the existing "easier than before, but
still not really noob-friendly). Mageia for example got rid of the PLF repo,
when they were no longer Mandrake/Mandriva branded.

+---------------------+
| Squamata Foundation |
+---------+-----------+

v--------+----------v
+------+ +------------+
| Leap | | Tumbleweed |
+------+ +------+-----+

v------+-----v
+-------+ +---------+
| Kubic | | MicroOS |
+-------+ +---------+

That's a nice idea.

But our main goal "financial goal" is not really compatible with letting
openSUSE away.
That has the reason that we need new sponsors. Many companies want to sponsor
us as "openSUSE" and nothing else.
The problem is that they are not allowed to do that in our situation now.
How should we receive such sponsoring offers again with such a change of the
name?
We have to wait many years again until receiving such offers. You can watch the
difference of budget at open source events at different booths of Linux
distributions.

We might not address the limitations expressed in previous emails
regarding usage of the SUSE wording, but we could have user groups,
local associations, domain names registered under "Example Foundation"
without requiring SUSE permission. It would solve the inconvenience of
getting sponsorship & funding which currently has to go through SUSE.

Local user groups & associations would perhaps still be required to
agree to a terms of use for the "openSUSE" wording.

Regards,

Ish Sookun
Nry隊Z)z{.k7맲rz^ˬzN(֜^ ޭ隊Z)z{.k70Ǩ