  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 16:33:52 +0200
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 16:11:57 CEST Robert Schweikert wrote:
And your statement is not consistent with statements made in the open
Board meeting at Osc and not consistent with what was stated by Richard,
let me repeat:

"""
The primary motivator for the Foundation is to better handle financial
transactions and to attract sponsors - period.
"""

I am not implying that related topics should be ignored, but we should
give them proper weight.

We definitely should. What weight is the right weight for each of them
nonetheless needs discussion again and has nothing to do with inconsistent
statements.

The discussion in this thread mostly focuses around control of the mark
and why that may or more may not be important.

Based on that it appears to me that the first question we need to answer
for ourselves is if it is important to control the mark, and how
important it is?

Is that a question or a statement?
I can only speak for myself, but that is not the main question and has never
been. But it is a question that needs an answer and I'd say: Yes, we should
control the brand and trademark and be the copyright owners of our own
community's and foundation's name because otherwise we'd be dependent on
others.

And that is being discussed with arguments on either side of the topic.

The rest follows from there. The original question, paraphrased, "change
the name or not?" becomes superfluous once we agree, possibly vote on,
whether complete control of the mark is something that we want or not.

But again it all flows from the answer to the question, what is the
driving factor, or more broadly formulated, what are the driving
factors? And then the follow on question, what is the relative
importance of the various factors.

Based on the discussion it would appear that topics around the mark are
more important than handling the finances. Otherwise one would think
we'd talk about how it would work to open accounts, where they would be
located, if there would be membership dues, if we get hardware where
that would be located etc. Basically things around financial and
sponsorship topics. None of those topics are going to be straight
forward. Yet the majority of the messages are around the mark.

And here is the crux, two different answers to the same question. One
person proclaiming the main factor is financial and another proclaiming
that risks associated with not owning the mark are the driving factors.

I can only find one main driving factor. But that doesn't limit our discussion
to only that one driving factor. There is more to consider than that.
Otherwise it'd render the whole discussion useless, because those side effects
are what we need to discuss.

And yes certainly we can in some way construct a way in which owning the
mark is connected to money.

You don't need to construct a link that's already there.

The conditions are determined by the choices we make.

That's another no-brainer and only logical. So, yes, exactly that's why we are
discussion the influence of all thinkable choices on the conditions under
which a foundation would have to operate.