  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 16:28:35 +0200
Op woensdag 5 juni 2019 15:46:18 CEST schreef Ish Sookun:
On 6/3/19 12:35 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
So whatever your views, please sound off in this thread, even if your
view is already echoed by others.

Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

No matter how much I'd like openSUSE to stay close to its roots by
keeping the SUSE part, I feel that the arguments to be less dependent on
SUSE and gain more infrastructure control weigh more. I am in favor of
both the logo & project name change.

Regards,

Ish Sookun
Here's where I am too. One of the things I love about these community
discussions is that reading other people's input sometimes makes me change my
mind, makes me aware of the emotional part in my reasoning. "openSUSE is my
home" f.e. But it's not the name, it's the community, the project which are in
my heart. And that is not bound to it's name. My feeling part of that
community, attempting to contribute to the project somehow did not change when
openSUSE was started.

Atm I think that we do need to go for a long term solution, hence include what
may happen f.e. when SUSE's owners bring it to some Stock Exchange. It's
shareholders on such an occasion might simply split it into parts to sell,
parts to kill. A different name, own trademarks thus would also directly
relate to financial indepence/less dependence. The relationship with SUSE is
something I would like to keep, and one of the things I could imagine is to
include a paragraph in the Foundation's charter that describes that, incl. a
mutual agreement to confirm that relationship once a year or something like
that.

A reminder: let's please have this discussion as community members amongst
eachother. It's about the future of the project and community, and I sincerely
believe that we all want what's best for both, in the long term.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member