On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 14:19, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

But again it all comes back to my earlier question why do we pursue this
avenue? Initially the answer was, paraphrasing, ability to better handle
financial transactions and attract sponsors. As the discussion moves on
it appears to me that the real reason is control of trademarks and more
independence. If the later is really the underlying reason, then yes a
name change would be the pill we have to swallow. But if we primarily
care about being able to properly handle financial transactions then a
name change is not needed and I am certain there are reasonable ways to
deal with the trademark topics that come up.

Please do us all a favour and kill the conspiracy theory talk :)

The primary motivator for the Foundation is to better handle financial
transactions and to attract sponsors - period.

The name of the Project, the name of the Foundation, are supplementary
discussions that spawn from that, and the Trademark issues are not
things to be ignored or brushed over lightly.
The harsh realities of trademark law will shape and impact what the
Project will be able to do as a Foundation.
There's no ulterior motive in bringing this up for discussion now, but
if we don't discuss it now, it will be too late to consider those
implications once we've started signing contracts and forming legal
entities.

if we keep the name, we'll have the challenges of figuring out how to
operate a legal entity without absolute control of our trademark.
There are no easy answers on that route, but the challenges are not
impossible.

If we change the name, we'll have the challenges of rebranding. There
are no easy answers on that route either, but the challenges are also
not impossible.

So, I think you can stop going back to your earlier question instead
look forward.
The only question for the Project is which is our preference?

Regards,

Richard