  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 14:05:58 +0200
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 13:38 Pierre Böckmann wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 12:45:43 CEST Mathias Homann wrote:
do you think that ... lets say Volkswagen would change their name to
... "peoplevehicle" for some reason?

And anyways, if they'd decide to do so because they think it sounds
better and is more internationally understood, don't you think that
they'd still be seen as VW and linked to their history and tradition

I definitely don't. We may consider it irrational but in general public
perception, the continuity and tradition would suffere a lot. Changing
the name (and I don't mean cosmetic changes like dropping the dots or
capitalizing the "u") is a big step and it means quite substantial
disassociation from the history. In general, only companies with weak
brands and/or companies which believe cutting themselves from the
history would actually help them rename themselves.

and that people would still continue to buy their cars?!

Hard to say. For a lot of people, a brand with tradition means a lot.
So I don't expect Ford, Peugeot or Volkswagen going through a rename
unless they were in deep and serious trouble. Even "Dieselgate" you
mentioned wasn't enough for VW to want them to risk the image of
continuity. And, to be honest, I don't really expect Boeing to do that
either.

Michal Kubecek