  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 13:38:37 +0200
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 12:45:43 CEST Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-06-05 12:02, schrieb Richard Brown:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 11:59, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get some
media buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more
attention than we got in the last few years and we might profit from
that attention, too.>>
But we will lose most of our (non community) users.

The "buzz" will be the same as with RandomNewDistro, one article and
then gone in the wind.

The brand is the most important part on keeping the distribution
alive.
Throwing it away means throwing the distribution away, sorry.

that's a rather pessimistic view. If we do decide to change the
Project's name, I'd expect we'd continue using the openSUSE brand for
the distributions for at least a transitional period of a few years,
which should give us the benefit of both attracting attention through
the new name AND not alienating our existing users and contributors.

| sed -e 's/pessimistic/realistic/'

Am I really the only one on this list to realize that the four letters
"SUSE" have been a household term for over 25 years now? And we want to
throw that away WHY exactly?

do you think that ... lets say Volkswagen would change their name to ...
"peoplevehicle" for some reason?

Cheers
MH

No, they won't. Though they are not in the need to come up with a new name to
build themselves a foundation but have to avoid copyright and trademark
issues.
And anyways, if they'd decide to do so because they think it sounds better and
is more internationally understood, don't you think that they'd still be seen
as VW and linked to their history and tradition and that people would still
continue to buy their cars?!