Am 2019-06-05 12:02, schrieb Richard Brown:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 11:59, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get some media
> buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more attention than
> we got in the last few years and we might profit from that attention, too.

But we will lose most of our (non community) users.

The "buzz" will be the same as with RandomNewDistro, one article and
then gone in the wind.

The brand is the most important part on keeping the distribution alive.
Throwing it away means throwing the distribution away, sorry.

that's a rather pessimistic view. If we do decide to change the
Project's name, I'd expect we'd continue using the openSUSE brand for
the distributions for at least a transitional period of a few years,
which should give us the benefit of both attracting attention through
the new name AND not alienating our existing users and contributors.

| sed -e 's/pessimistic/realistic/'

Am I really the only one on this list to realize that the four letters "SUSE" have been a household term for over 25 years now? And we want to throw that away WHY exactly?

do you think that ... lets say Volkswagen would change their name to ... "peoplevehicle" for some reason?

Cheers
MH