  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 12:02:54 +0200
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 11:59, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get some
media
buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more attention
than
we got in the last few years and we might profit from that attention, too.

But we will lose most of our (non community) users.

The "buzz" will be the same as with RandomNewDistro, one article and
then gone in the wind.

The brand is the most important part on keeping the distribution alive.
Throwing it away means throwing the distribution away, sorry.

that's a rather pessimistic view. If we do decide to change the
Project's name, I'd expect we'd continue using the openSUSE brand for
the distributions for at least a transitional period of a few years,
which should give us the benefit of both attracting attention through
the new name AND not alienating our existing users and contributors.