On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:45:27AM +0200, Pierre Böckmann wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 11:18:26 CEST Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-06-03 08:01, schrieb Stasiek Michalski:
Hi,

Here's just one little bit of food for thought.

I was just chitchatting with a coworker about this, and he said:

"If opensuse changes their name whey will be just one of many unknown /
new linux distributions, while right now they are one of the market
leaders"

Do we really WANT to be "just some small new distro" instead one of the
big five?

Cheers
MH

Hi Mathias,

I don't think that we are becoming "just some small new distro". The
Community
stays the same, only with a strong supporting foundation behind it. Neither
are we cutting the ties to SUSE, nor do we rebase the distro on any other
technological basis. Leap will continue to be Leap, and same applies to
Tumbleweed and the openSUSE project.

I am sure that a name change and the new build foundation will get some media
buzz around the globe. So we probably might even get much more attention than
we got in the last few years and we might profit from that attention, too.

But we will lose most of our (non community) users.

The "buzz" will be the same as with RandomNewDistro, one article and
then gone in the wind.

The brand is the most important part on keeping the distribution alive.
Throwing it away means throwing the distribution away, sorry.

Ciao, Marcus