On wto, Jun 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dne pondělí 3. června 2019 11:45:58 CEST, Richard Brown napsal(a):
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 11:34, John Salvatore Fontanelli
<commel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SUSE owns the trademark and the names and as holder they can
> allow "us" the use of the name.

While this is true, as openSUSE transitions to having it's own legal
entity, you should consider the possibility that such a grant of
trademark use could have significantly limiting strings attached.
Even without a legal entity, openSUSE already operates with
significant constraints around the use of its name, which you can see
in our Trademark Policy [1] and the examples I gave in my post.
If openSUSE keeps its current name, I would be absolutely shocked if
we manage the form the Foundation under the name "openSUSE" without
significant additional restrictions atop of the status quo.
And when considering situations like that we've had with openSUSE
Indonesia, and other regional openSUSE groups already, this is an area
where any additional restrictions are likely to cause significant
additional pain for the community.
Such additional restrictions might be acceptable to the community as a
whole as a cost of keeping the name, but it should be an informed
decision, not fed by wishful thinking that are unlikely to be legally
viable (even if emotionally I'm convinced we'd all like things to be
as liberal as possible, SUSE and openSUSE).

I don't do the adminstrative job, but IMHO this is acceptable price. If You
have foundation, You also need to take care about the trademark and so on,
don't You?

It's also worth considering that a huge amount of the Board's time is
currently spend dealing with requests to use the openSUSE Trademarks,
requiring what feels often like endless discussions and negotiations
between interested parties and SUSE.
We often can't share many of these details in our public minutes, but
there have been times when the Board have had little time to deal with
anything else, to the detriment of the Project as a whole.
Having the Project operating under it's own mark would bring an
additional benefit of significantly liberating the Board to take care
of other matters with their limited voluntary time.

I'm not "insider" here, so I probably miss something, but I don't see this.
The Board would also handle all the request. Or not?

Correct, although with board having power over the trademark, there wouldn't be
any need to discuss those matters with another body entirely, which makes the
process more efficient. As it is currently, the board has to discuss trademark
issues with SUSE before allowing or disallowing usage of the trademark by the
third party, and as written, the time of the board is limited as well, they
have their lifes, not to mention that SUSE operates only within business hours
;)

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world