W dniu 03.06.2019 o 18:39, Robert Schweikert pisze:
On 6/3/19 10:17 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 15:55, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So the underlying question, and with that back to my intro. Is there a
statement by the board or others as to the underlying reasons why a
foundation is being pursuit (again)?  And why now?

In a few short bulletpoints for those who cant be bothered to watch
the video.

- The Primary motivation is to enable the openSUSE Project to be able
to receive, spend, and sign it's own contracts/sponsorships/money
- This should be _in addition to_, not _in replacement of_ the
exceptionally positive and good working relationship openSUSE has with
SUSE
-  Both the Board and SUSE are keen on using this opportunity to
codify the nature of that close working relationship into the
by-laws/charter of the Foundation (likely to be a German Stiftung)
- I personally refer to this effort and openSUSE seeking "less
dependence" on SUSE, not "independence"

Hopefully you can see how the above tenants have learned the lessons
of previous efforts and I would describe this current effort as the
most amicable, mutually respectful, and uniquely "openSUSE/SUSEian",
with the vast majority so far seeming to agree with the broad strokes
of the topic.

With this as goals I think sticking with the existing name and branding
would properly continue to express the relationship and the trademark
issues should be able to be overcome in a way that reaches a workable
level without being a burden on everyone.

Later,
Robert

Thank you for your spot-on question. So far in this whole discussion, I
find this argument most convincing.