On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 15:55, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So the underlying question, and with that back to my intro. Is there a
statement by the board or others as to the underlying reasons why a
foundation is being pursuit (again)? And why now?

The Board is working on a briefing document to explain such things,
but the need for us all to rest a bit after the exhausting Board
Meeting/oSC combination has meant that this discussion has leapt onto
these lists before that document has been finalised.

The Board will produce this document as soon as it can; in my case, I
do need to spend a few work days on my regular work, so I cant promise
exactly when I'll be able to contribute much to that drafting effort.

Meanwhile though, thanks to the amazing work of the Video team, there
is a solid recording of the discussion the Board started on this topic
at oSC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUZmc4CXzFQ&t=1s

It does a good job of explaining why a Foundation is being pursued and
in what form.

In a few short bulletpoints for those who cant be bothered to watch the video.

- The Primary motivation is to enable the openSUSE Project to be able
to receive, spend, and sign it's own contracts/sponsorships/money
- This should be _in addition to_, not _in replacement of_ the
exceptionally positive and good working relationship openSUSE has with
SUSE
- Both the Board and SUSE are keen on using this opportunity to
codify the nature of that close working relationship into the
by-laws/charter of the Foundation (likely to be a German Stiftung)
- I personally refer to this effort and openSUSE seeking "less
dependence" on SUSE, not "independence"

Hopefully you can see how the above tenants have learned the lessons
of previous efforts and I would describe this current effort as the
most amicable, mutually respectful, and uniquely "openSUSE/SUSEian",
with the vast majority so far seeming to agree with the broad strokes
of the topic.

One likely sticky topic around the Foundation will be that of the
Trademarks, a number of the reasons I've already mentioned in this
thread..hence why I think the naming discussion is a good one to have
now. And despite my personal preferences, I will gladly embrace
whatever the community decides.
Either way it will help shape the structure of the Foundation as it
comes together.