  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 13:43:38 +0200
Am Montag, 3. Juni 2019, 13:20:44 CEST schrieb Ancor Gonzalez Sosa:
On 6/3/19 11:59 AM, Simon Lees wrote:
Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

Again keeping it short, No, the board has been given quite some
guarantee we will be able to continue to use openSUSE as long as we need
/ want. If that was to ever change and we no longer could i'd be all for
creating a "fork" to a new name based off, "openSUSE is changing its
name because it's working relationship with SUSE has come to the point
were we feel we can no longer share the same name". This would generate
more then enough press that whatever we change to will become instantly
recognised, it would equally create enough bad press for SUSE that they
would consider whether the choice is wise. But until that point comes
hopefully it never does i'm all for keeping the existing name it is
known and represents everything the project is so well

I agree. Despite the practical reasons given by Richard, I feel changing
the name is fixing something that is not broken.

+1

It's a disruptive change that could send a message of bad relationship
or a loss of trust between SUSE and openSUSE. No matter how you word the
public announcement, most people will get it as a breakup.

The potential of hurting the public image of SUSE and openSUSE
overweights the practical reasons by far, in my opinion.

Changing the brand (not only the name) is a process that requires a massive
and well conducted communication plan. Companies spend millions in this - I
would rather see this money spend on development (assuming we have it, which I
know is not the case) - the perception of the new brand in the market is not
guaranteed.

I have seen many open source projects changing their names over the
years, and I don't think any of those name changes have boosted or
improved the corresponding project in any significant way.

As others have pointed out, SUSE is the oldest distro in the market, so the
brand is well known.
That has always a negative side ('some 15 years ago I had a graphic card that
was not working with SUSE' and other gossip) as people have a certain image in
mind.
We as a community feel very different about that - good relationships and fun
on what we do, using the best toolchain in the market. The question 'What does
openSUSE stands for' has to be defined first (board started the discussion
already internally).

I see the legal implications Richard pointed out, I see as well that some
major computer mags in Germany are constantly ignoring openSUSE (instead
enthusiastically reporting about 'fresh new distros' every couple of weeks,
just to notice that development has stopped some more month later...), but I
still feel the brand perception of openSUSE in general is positive and
reliable.

So..redesign yes, rebranding no

My 2c
Axel