On 6/3/19 11:59 AM, Simon Lees wrote:

Do you think openSUSE should change it's name?

Again keeping it short, No, the board has been given quite some
guarantee we will be able to continue to use openSUSE as long as we need
/ want. If that was to ever change and we no longer could i'd be all for
creating a "fork" to a new name based off, "openSUSE is changing its
name because it's working relationship with SUSE has come to the point
were we feel we can no longer share the same name". This would generate
more then enough press that whatever we change to will become instantly
recognised, it would equally create enough bad press for SUSE that they
would consider whether the choice is wise. But until that point comes
hopefully it never does i'm all for keeping the existing name it is
known and represents everything the project is so well

I agree. Despite the practical reasons given by Richard, I feel changing
the name is fixing something that is not broken.

It's a disruptive change that could send a message of bad relationship
or a loss of trust between SUSE and openSUSE. No matter how you word the
public announcement, most people will get it as a breakup.

The potential of hurting the public image of SUSE and openSUSE
overweights the practical reasons by far, in my opinion.

I have seen many open source projects changing their names over the
years, and I don't think any of those name changes have boosted or
improved the corresponding project in any significant way.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH