On 03/06/2019 20:15, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On pon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:30 PM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03/06/2019 19:44, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On pon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:53 AM, Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday, June 3, 2019 11:47:41 AM CEST Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

 IMO we should vote on the
 re-branding as a "package" first and then decide what to do.

I consider the logo and the name as different issues, as we can:

* change nothing
* change the logo
* change the logo and the project name

But if we decide for a full rename, do we have a time-table about how much
time do we have for the transition?

Renaming all domains, OBS projects and metadata, the github namespace, the
multiple review bots, osc, IRC channels, packages trademarks, etc, etc is not
something that we can do without a very long transition period.

Actually, I am not sure that this is something feasible.

I can have all the repos in our Github renamed by Monday, and all the obs
submission next month, my resume includes:
https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/issues/934
redoing all of YaST naming conventions in desktop files...

Its more then just a few obs submissions, for example every official repo and most repo's in devel projects + home projects list openSUSE in the repository name, changing the repository names will be messy because it will also involve changing everyones zypper config, on the other hand maybe we can get more standard/consistent naming of "openSUSE_Factory" vs "openSUSE_Tumbleweed" across devel repo's because that is a mess atm.

Well, new name would be a new devel project, wouldn't it? Then everybody
would need to switch that manually unless it was linked, that's how you
*could* fix it.

It would be nice to fix it without causing everyone to have twice as many repo's enabled for building for whatever we decide as a transition period. I guess leap for example will stay as is until it goes end of life and the repo's are dropped.

I'm sure there is a way, but its not as quick and simple as what you suggested.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30