  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 12:00:56 +0200
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 11:53, Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday, June 3, 2019 11:47:41 AM CEST Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

IMO we should vote on the
re-branding as a "package" first and then decide what to do.

I consider the logo and the name as different issues, as we can:

* change nothing
* change the logo
* change the logo and the project name

I agree - I see the logo and project name discussions are somewhat
separate. I think we can do nothing, we can change the logo without
changing the name, and if we change the name we will absolutely need
to change change the logo

So I'm favouring discussing the name change first, we can work back
from there :)

But if we decide for a full rename, do we have a time-table about how much
time do we have for the transition?

With all things surrounding the Foundation concept, there is no
deadlines or formal timepressure from any party.

Renaming all domains, OBS projects and metadata, the github namespace, the
multiple review bots, osc, IRC channels, packages trademarks, etc, etc is not
something that we can do without a very long transition period.

Actually, I am not sure that this is something feasible.

If we change the name, I'd expect the "<insert name here> Foundation"
would have some agreement with SUSE to continue using the openSUSE
Marks for the purposes of a smooth transition.

This is the kind of decision that may take weeks or months to agree
upon, but could take years to fully implement - and as far as I can
see at the moment, I don't think there would be any problem with that
for any of the parties involved. :)

Unlike other Open Source project renamings we're not considering
anything hard, brutal, or urgent.. I think we have the luxury of being
able to take the time to do it right.