On 03/06/2019 18:03, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 6/3/19 8:01 AM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Hi,

I am myself afraid of this email, because this is about the basis of the
community, distributions, plans for foundation etc...

Unlike I usually do, I will keep it short.

I'm also going to keep it short and agree with everything Ancor said here

More important than the name itself however is to decide if we want to
change
the logo and/or the name at all, or we want to leave everything as is.

I wouldn't change the name. I wouldn't destroy a brand just because is
similar to SUSE. In fact, I believe the distance between SUSE (the
company) and openSUSE (the project) is properly represented by the
distance between both names/words (different enough but with 50% of
shared DNA/letters).

I'll add a little to this in that since the "Leap" + "Tumbleweed" + "openSUSE" came about the openSUSE brand has finally started to gain a much broader traction across area's of the world where it previously hasn't been strong (Australia being one example) it would be a shame to throw all that away now by changing names just as we are becoming better known.

Beyond the obvious ties to SUSE I really like the use of "open" in our name, open has become such a fundamental part of our community its not just that we are open source, everything we do is open, we are open to anyone doing anything even proposing changing names etc :-).

I'm all for changing the logo. Both logos are basically identical and
the openSUSE logo needs to be adapted to the present times. Whether SUSE
decides to modernize their logo or not is not our business, but I think
openSUSE needs to do so.
One of the interesting things is SUSE has already modernized there's to some extent (by changing to a color designers can work with)

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30