Re: [opensuse-project] Re: OBS (was: Re: 019-04-02 board meeting minutes)

On wto, Apr 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 7:02 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:46 AM Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On 21.04.19 18:37, Neal Gompa wrote:
>
> > I still want to do it, but it's very hard, and it's difficult to get
> > support or assistance from the OBS developers to make this work.
>
> What would you say was difficult about it? What stopped you from doing it?

So there are a few major issues that block me from progressing (even
with my slow-and-steady bottom up approach):

* A good chunk of the OBS source services are missing the appropriate
licensing data. I've filed issues on all the ones that are "necessary"
for the basic OBS functionality to work. This makes it very difficult
to ship in Fedora due to being unable to fulfill the compliance
requirements.

* OBS sysvinit scripts are not Red Hat/Fedora compatible. Full stop.
This means that even though the systemd services don't quite work
correctly, they are the only way I can do this. Which is fine,
except...

* OBS makefiles, packaging, and ruby code are tricky to fix to avoid
requiring installing into /srv. This is not allowed in Fedora.
Historically, I've received complete apathy over this issue and this
is not easily fixable without support from OBS developers. There's
also the small matter of different users for web content, but that's
not so bad.

* The OBS packaging is insane. This part I'm slowly working on fixing
by completely rewriting the spec. I will probably contribute a variant
of this upstream once it is done, because hopefully it'll be cleaner
and saner to maintain.

I also forgot to point out an issue that puts a damper on Fedora
community usage: the OBS API isn't good enough for me to write a DNF
plugin for enabling, disabling, or searching for compatible
repositories to use on a build service instance (like the dnf COPR
plugin does).

I have two issues open for this:
* https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3153
* https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3154

And for actually building Fedora packages, this is an important issue:
https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/1935

I would go as far as to say that current API overall blocks any usage of OBS
for user facing application interactions, every call to API requires
authentication by username and password without an option to have a developer
API tokens. That has already been an issue for zyp [1] and software-o-o ships
with prebaked username and password in the code, which sure seems like a good
idea ;)

[1] https://github.com/simoniz0r/zyp

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world