Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 18:51:41 +0200
Op vrijdag 19 april 2019 17:14:21 CEST schreef Richard Brown:
My personal vision is simple.
I want both openSUSE and SUSE to be able to have their own cakes and
to eat each others.
Put bluntly, I want openSUSE to have the legal structures and entities
it needs to be able to do it's own things, have it's own
infrastructure, run it's own services, raising it's own money.
At the same time, I want SUSE to be contributing to openSUSE more
heavily than it already does, with more of it's products more engaged
with openSUSE's codebases and tooling, with SUSE funding openSUSE at
least as much as it does now.
Sure, I realise this is a lot to ask, but I not only believe this is
possible, but it's best for all involved.

A more independent openSUSE with it own money, infrastructure
(including some donated by SUSE), should find itself more easily doing
what we already do.
This will benefit SUSE as long as openSUSE does it right and SUSE
continues to work closely and collaborate with openSUSE.
In other words - if openSUSE is able to do more on its own, how is
that anything but a benefit to SUSE as long as SUSE is still able to
take what openSUSE is doing and turn it into something commercially
viable?

There is nothing that says SUSE needs to formally own openSUSE to
productively work with openSUSE.
SUSE is "the open open source company" - it should be able to handle
it's partner community having a more open relationship than our peers
in the Red Hat/Ubuntu worlds.
***** Personal view too ****
I wholeheartedly agree with this simple vision. Even though I have to admit
that my view here has changed from that in the past. Somehow I consider it the
next step for the openSUSE Project now. And I'd love to see this happen in an
atmosphere of mutual respect.