Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes
Am 19.04.19 um 13:52 schrieb Simon Lees:

On 19/04/2019 20:09, Klaas Freitag wrote:
Am 19.04.19 um 09:21 schrieb Simon Lees:

There would be topics enough to discuss I think, and to try to get real
commitments from SUSE. A few examples:

a) Commitment to keep openSUSE as base distro for SUSE's enterprise
products. How would openSUSE look like if SUSE suddenly jumps on a deb
based distro to ship interesting enterprise applications? What would
currently hinder SUSE to do that?
Legacy heaps of legacy, SUSE's enterprise customers do not want to be
forced to make more changes then they need, swapping the underlying
distro would probably cause most customers to consider other alternative
distro's, I really don't see this ever happening.

Ok. I am not saying it is what will happen, more as an interesting
thought. In this sense, let me play the devils advocate: The "underlying
distro" is becoming more and more commodity, nothing SUSE can
differentiate from others big times any more. Customers loose interest
in the base since years. So why not joining the big community of people
doing deb based base systems with less people and concentrate with a
bigger number of developers on the enterprise apps that do differentiate?

b) Lots of infrastructure topics
c) Investments of workforce into the build service for example.

SUSE is still the main contributor to build service code and I don't see
that changing,
I know that :)

SUSE has also given a commitment that they will continue
to provide openSUSE with all the core infrastructure they need for
shipping releases and have reaffirmed this position to the board in
recent weeks.
Ok. Is there a public statement from SUSE about that? It's cool that
somebody from SUSE told the board something, but how valuable is that in
the moment where SUSE is changing owner again? That is why I think the
board should try to get SUSE to make public statements about these things.

regards,
Klaas