Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes

On 19/04/2019 05:34, Sébastien 'sogal' Poher wrote:
Le mercredi 17 avril 2019 à 22:13 +0200, Christian Boltz a écrit :
== Foundation/Independence ==

* we need to decide which way (e.V., joining an umbrella foundation)
makes sense - topic for the face to face meeting, feedback on
opensuse-project@ is of course welcome
* Simon will write up a summary of the options of umbrella
foundations
* in general feedback from SUSE about becoming independent is
positive,
but we've also heard a concern that independence could be driven by
fundamental things, not practical reasons
* if ever needed, we could ignore whatever SUSE does and go our own
way
* a foundation / independence would make legal stuff like GDPR our
business

Would going under an umbrella organization no help us to cope with the
GDPR issue ?

Not really, in all probability it would likely be more complex, and the admins / people responsible for the openSUSE servers would become responsible presuming the infrastructure was transferred.

In reality if openSUSE was to start moving a significant amount of its stuff under an umbrella organisation it would be too big for the umbrella organisation to manage, and the 10%ish fee that all umbrella orgs tend to charge would likely be significant enough that openSUSE would be better off creating its own foundation and using that money to employ someone to do admin work instead.

As such umbrella organisations are not something the board is actively considering at this point (Although we have spent a bunch of time looking at them). However, if we choose not to proceed with an openSUSE foundation and our relationship with SUSE stays the same we will likely consider partnering with an umbrella org as a secondary way of receiving funds as there are some times and places where our current approach of everything having to go through SUSE does cause us some issues.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30