Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 14:59:06 +0200
Hello together,

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. April 2019 um 22:45 Uhr
Von: "Klaas Freitag" <freitag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-04-02 board meeting minutes

Hi Christian,

Am 17.04.19 um 22:13 schrieb Christian Boltz:

== Foundation/Independence ==

* we need to decide which way (e.V., joining an umbrella foundation)
makes sense - topic for the face to face meeting, feedback on
opensuse-project@ is of course welcome

I apologize if I missed the note, but can you point me to the vision
document of an independent openSUSE? I am sure if you guys discuss such
an fundamental move, there is some writeup?

We had long discussions about that in the past.
That is documented in most Board meeting minutes.

* a foundation / independence would make legal stuff like GDPR our
business
* Simon will talk to Ciaran how we could handle GDPR and other legal
stuff

For sure Ciaran is one of the most friendliest and helpful lawyers this
planet has, but he is a SUSE employee. I am sure you want to ask him in
his role of a community member, but hey, to me that feels a bit like
asking Daddy to organize the moveout. We should not put him in that
situation.

Wouldn't it be a good exercise to find an independent lawyer, work the
topic through with her, and in the end make sure that costs are handled?

I can offer a discussion with an independent lawyer with a PhD degree on Friday
of the oSC.
Our working group Open Source has such a lawyer as a Speaker for "Lizenzen
freier Software" at the TH Nürnberg.
Come at 17:30 to the Faculty of Computer Science. After the presentation he
will be open for other open source discussions.
This lawyer is Apache Member and his wife is Debian Developer. He knows
different communities, their rules and organizations.
He is living open source and knows what he is telling. Therefore, he can tell
us his opinion, too.

Best regards,
Sarah