Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
On 14/3/19 6:02 pm, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. März 2019 um 03:35 Uhr
Von: "Lana Brindley" <lbrindley@xxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point.
As a result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to
cover things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas
outside that,
Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome
User Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there
are probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE
that aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's
version of the documentation.
A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know
how to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is
the best list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate place?

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer - SUSE Manager

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you
can make words mean so many different things."

past how to contribute to the real documentation of openSUSE, because this
documentation is only editable by the SUSE documentation team.
I'm so happy there are people out there!

The community is only allowed to edit the wiki and that is the documentation
by the community at the moment.

That is actually quite disturbing to me. I'm going to follow up with the
internal docs team to find out what's happening here from their perspective.

The wiki mailing list has been merged with opensuse-web now. Therefore, you
can find our wiki Contributors on opensuse-web.
Excellent, I'll sign up over there :)
It would be great to find a solution for a better cooperation for the
documentation part at openSUSE.
Agreed. Without a community, open source is in name only. And as the WtD
community like to say: "Docs or it didn't happen" ;)

Thank you that you want to volunteer in this position between SUSE and
openSUSE!

I have some experience to bring from other open source docs projects, and I
hate to see a good project linger without love. So, you are most welcome!