Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:02:22 +0100

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. März 2019 um 03:35 Uhr
Von: "Lana Brindley" <lbrindley@xxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point.
As a result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to
cover things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas
outside that,

Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome
User Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there
are probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE
that aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's
version of the documentation.

A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know how
to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is the
best list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate place?

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer - SUSE Manager

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you
can make words mean so many different things."

how to contribute to the real documentation of openSUSE, because this
documentation is only editable by the SUSE documentation team.

The community is only allowed to edit the wiki and that is the documentation by
the community at the moment.

The wiki mailing list has been merged with opensuse-web now. Therefore, you can
find our wiki Contributors on opensuse-web.
It would be great to find a solution for a better cooperation for the
documentation part at openSUSE.

Thank you that you want to volunteer in this position between SUSE and openSUSE!

Best regards,
Sarah