Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
On 3/13/2019 9:35 PM, Lana Brindley wrote:
On 14/03/2019 10:39, Simon Lees wrote:
Hi

On 14/03/2019 10:05, Lana Brindley wrote:
OK, I'll be that guy ;)

I can see that the OpenSUSE docs need some love and care (and that even the
docs mailing list got shut down a little while ago :\ ). I've had some
experience with open source docs communities in the past. What needs to be done?

Lana

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point. As a
result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to cover
things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas outside that,
Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome User
Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there are
probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE that
aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's version of the
documentation.
A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know how
to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is the best
list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate place?

Lana

Lana (and others),

I don't have a ton of spareĀ  time, but I'd be willing to be on a docs team. A perfect way for this Member Emeritus to get back in the game. 8-) I also have a lot of tech writers in my Twitter feed, and can spread the word that way.

Cheers,

Mike McCallister, who wrote "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" in a past life