Re: [opensuse-project] Google's Season of Docs
On 14/03/2019 10:39, Simon Lees wrote:
Hi

On 14/03/2019 10:05, Lana Brindley wrote:
OK, I'll be that guy ;)

I can see that the OpenSUSE docs need some love and care (and that even the
docs mailing list got shut down a little while ago :\ ). I've had some
experience with open source docs communities in the past. What needs to be
done?

Lana

Most of openSUSE's current documentation is generated along side SUSE's so
talking to SUSE's documentation team is probably the best starting point. As
a result of this if you look at https://doc.opensuse.org/ it tends to cover
things that are in SLE very well but doesn't tend to cover areas outside that,

Yeah, the problem I see is that there is no community-based team for these
docs, the community is just relying on a re-badging of the corporate docs.

for example there's a bunch of low hanging fruit in things like the Gnome
User Guide could probably be extended to other desktops like KDE and there
are probably a bunch of other features / things that we ship in openSUSE that
aren't in SLE that could equally make there way into openSUSE's version of
the documentation.

A content audit seems like a good place to start.

Since there's no mailing list or IRC any more, it's a little hard to know how
to go about building up a community around docs. Do you think this is the best
list to try and kick that off, or is there a more appropriate place?

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer - SUSE Manager

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you
can make words mean so many different things."