Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-project (72 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-project] Board Meeting Minutes 20190219
# Board Meeting Minutes 20190219

# Attendees
Richard
Gertjan
Simon
Christian
Marina
Axel
Sarah
Ana

# Agenda

- On Boarding New Members
- Thanks to Departing Members
- Handover
- Regular Board Meetings - To be continued? If so arrange time/frequency.
- Treasurer Appointment
- Face to Face Meeting Planning
- Suggestion from SUSE for Future Discussion (Richard)

# Minutes

## On Boarding New Members

Axel and Marina were welcomed to the Board.
Neither had any questions before starting their first meeting.

## Thanks to Departing Members

The Board thanks Ana and Sarah for all the exceptional work they did
during their tenure in the Board. The Board wishes them all the best
and look forward to their ongoing contributions to the Project.
Ana took the opportunity to encourage the new Board to continue its
efforts to improve transparency of its activities. This was accepted
by all attendees with the expectation that Ana would give the Board a
hard time on the appropriate mailinglists if they fail.
Sarah expressed her thanks to both her Board colleagues and the
community who voted for her in the recent election. Despite obvious
disappointment at not being re-elected, Sarah expressed some relief
that the circumstances would give more time for both her current
studies and ongoing contributions to the Project.

## Handover

The Board discussed a few dangling items that were involving previous
Board members, specifically establishing a License for the content on
news.opensuse.org

AI: Richard to talk to Doug about moving forward with all future posts
being appropriately licensed

## Ana and Sarah left the meeting at this point

## Regular Board Meetings

The Board discussed the frequency and time of it's regular meetings.
It was agreed to continue them bi-weekly at 2200 CEST on Tuesdays

## Treasurer Appointment

As it is an appointed position, each new Board need to discuss whether
or not to continue the role of Treasurer and whom to appoint it to.
This was discussed, with the agreement to continue with Andrew in
post, if he is willing to do the job for another year

AI: Richard to talk to Andrew

## Face to Face Meeting Planning

The Board discussed having a face to face meeting to discuss the
big-ticket items for the Year, and meet with people from SUSE.
It was decided to try and schedule this meeting for the 2 days before
conference, ideally hosted at SUSE HQ in Nuremberg

AI: Richard to request sponsorship & support for the meeting from SUSE

## SUSE/openSUSE relationship, openSUSE self-determination

Richard brought to the Board news of a recent discussion had within SUSE.
With SUSE's independence from MicroFocus there is an increased
interest, from SUSE, to better structure some aspects of the
relationship between SUSE and openSUSE.
There have been repeated and clear statements from every level of
SUSE, there is absolutely no desire to reduce SUSEs contribution to
openSUSE.
But on topics such as legal, finance, and data protection there is
scope for things to be restructured in a way that enables openSUSE to
adopt more responsibility, sovereignty and independence.

A lot of these aspects are currently structured based on the needs of
Novell when openSUSE was first formed.
Many of the assumptions those decisions were based on are no longer
true, and there are people within SUSE who can see the benefits for
both SUSE and openSUSE to dismiss some of those old assumptions and
arrange things appropriately for how things work today.

Such an endeavour could help remove sources of tension and complexity
between both organisations while potentially making it easier for both
to work together and do what they need to do.
But such an endeavour can produce a lot of work and has potentially
huge implications for the Project, raising the need that any decision
in this area is carefully considered before being enacted.

There are no concrete demands or requirements to address this at the moment.
All discussions to date on this topic have been informal.

Richard asked the Board to take this opportunity to consider the
possibilities and begin discussions within the Board.

It is expected that these discussions will continue for some time
while the Board collectively piece together a picture of how they
might wish to see things change, so that collective Board vision can
form the basis of any future discussions with both SUSE, and of course
with the openSUSE Project at large.

AI: All Board members to consider the possibilities and implications
on this topic and continue discussions on the board@xxxxxxxxxxxx
mailinglist for now
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-project+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, email: opensuse-project+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >
This Thread
  • No further messages