Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 09:52:14 +0100
On 12 February 2018 at 01:12, Fraser_Bell <Fraser_Bell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think we can come up with a clearer or simpler criteria. What
would you add?

I would add that adhering to this:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Guiding_principles#openSUSE_Guiding_Principles_.28long_version.29

would/should be the PRIMARY qualification for Membership.

If up to me, it would also be that violating this would prompt a warning
from the Board of possible suspension of Membership, and in Extreme Cases
would result in Cancellation of Membership. (With an Appeal process, of
course.).

Adherence to the Guiding Principles is a prerequisite for anyone
contributing to the openSUSE Project.

It provides the lens through which the Board forms it's opinion when
called to resolve disputes, regardless if the 'disputed' are Members
or not

Failure to adhere to the Guiding Principles can, in the worst case,
lead to an individuals participation in the openSUSE Project being
unwelcome. In such a case the individuals involved are asked to leave
the project, or in the worst cases, their access to any openSUSE
infrastructure is revoked.

So sure, in a way you're not wrong, but I don't see the benefit of
tying the Membership scheme to that; it might give the impression that
non-member contributors are not subject to the Guiding Principles,
which is very far from the truth.