Re: [opensuse-project] connect.opensuse.org (was: Re: Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 08:49:07 +0100
Christian Boltz wrote:

We all know that connect sucks, but that's not really PHP's fault ;-)
Connect is "just" an old system and didn't get enough maintenance, and
I'm afraid that a lack of maintenance causes problems in all
programming languages.

Oh, and I'll scare you a bit more - our wikis run with MediaWiki,
which is written in PHP - and works ;-)

Yup, there is nothing wrong with PHP, inexperienced developers will
shoot themselves in the foot with whatever they get their hands on.
(speaking from personal experience).

Personally, I already have most of your proposal implemented by using
mail notifications everywhere. I fetch my mails anyway, and reading
some more mails (which get filtered into lots of folders) is easier
than going to a website.

Push instead of pull. Absolutely. I do the same.

Even if that website has everything in one place, I still have to go
there,

Plus another umpteen websites.

The current usage of connect.o.o is (quick summary, I hope I didn't
miss anything):
- membership management (can be simplified if everybody likes the
reforming proposal, but is still needed)
- profile pages aka "phonebook" - this can mostly be replaced with
user pages in the wiki.

How many "profile" does one individual need? I have an entire
collection. Linkedin, Xing, google+, connect.o.o, I probably one on my
blog, in wikipedia, IEEE, RIPE, our local Gewerbeverein, all kinds of
places, many of which I have forgotten.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.6°C)