Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:13:38 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2018-02-10 at 18:06 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:

Seems good to me.

I have doubts about one part, though:

* openSUSE Members will retain all of the rights, benefits, and
responsibilities they do today (Voting, Emails/Cloaks Recalling the
Board, etc)
* Any openSUSE contributor can apply to be a Member
* The threshold for Membership will be reduced from "sustained and
substantial contribution" to "a contribution and a desire to be a
Member" (ie. not every contributor should feel compelled to engage
with the Project in this way).
* If the contribution can be automatically verified, they will
automatically become a Member. (New tooling here will be required, but
for example, a quick parse of the public mailinglists would be able to
verify a good number of contributions, be they through bug reporting,
package contributions, or support on the mailinglists)
* If they cannot be automatically verified, they need to be manually
verified, but only require a single +1 vote from the Membership
committee.

This is the part I have doubts: single vote?
And no veto possibility?

I think veto should be a possibility, but should be justified. And then perhaps a third person would have to decide between the pro and against, if the two can not agree.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.