Re: Fwd: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 02:07:23 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2018-02-11 at 02:01 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Saturday 2018-02-10 22:10, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Er... members do not decide anything. Those that actually do things, decide how
they do those things they do.

Sometimes the members are called to vote on something. For instance, long ago,
we were asked to vote on how to number the successive openSUSE versions. And
few years later, our decission was ondone by calling it Leap 42.x, without a
vote. Those that did it, decided it.

Leap is "made" by lnussel. Well, the releases are.
So lnussel made the decision. ;-)

Though this statement was meant in jest, it does hold somewhat... For
example, I do not expect to have any say in what nickname the next
Debian release should have based solely on their decision to
agglomerate one of my GPL software into their project.
Of course my openSUSE involvement is much larger than Debian,
but still.

It is not just a do-ocracy, there is also a good dose of meritocracy
(and I do not think that is a bad thing).

I agree :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.