Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Reforming openSUSE Membership To Better Reflect Our Ethos
  • From: Stasiek <LetCP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:19:44 -0500
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5YKBS-KUe8

Free promotion >:D

First of all I will be biased as non member and wannabe, to make this
change, sorry. I am totally for it.

Second of all Connect sucks, we all know it, and all will admit it. It's
written in PHP, and every bit of PHP I dealt with I just have rewritten
to something that at least works. I propose something more useful and
streamlined for connect, let's say connect++ (going with old cool++
marketing). Instead of making some fake social media wannabe, let's make
useful centralized hub for openSUSE infrastructure. And in ruby, because
that seems way more popular and common around here.

It would be useful to connect: OBS, bugzilla, mailing lists, news, paste,
whatever people will need, want or care about (by adding plugins). Let's
make it also custom for every person, so they can just have widgets they
need.

Actually that is not my idea, that is idea dating back to old openSUSE
days with myopensuse, which was never fully realized.
https://features.opensuse.org/306615
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/myopensuse.git/?p=opensuse:myopensuse.git

I made mock-up of this in 5 minutes:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/407993213425680384/411939217053319178/Screenshot_from_2018-02-10_16-58-06.png

In a way, it makes more sense than adding friends and making groups on
which nobody ever interacts. That kind of things should be left to
Matrix/IRC or whatever.

Although one more useful thing could be integrated into this, profiles,
as much of a gimmick it was to make yourself an openSUSE business card
and public profile, it was one of the best functionalities of Connect ;)

​LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world