Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number
On 2017-04-22T13:37:48, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Having just paid for a locksmith's emergency fee because I locked myself
out on Sunday morning put me into the perfect mood for commenting on
this! ;-)

This seems ill-advised, even more so then the utterly crazy SLE
numbering change that triggered it. (And they at least have the
advantage of being able to blame it on non-technical folks.)

Version numbers that are not strictly monotonous ought to be taken out
and shot.

The joke with 42, yes, silly, but I could get behind it, because
everyone loves 42. You could have gone with 50, or 51 (maintains that
Leap uses "funny numbers" (area 51), happens to be the reverse of 15,
*and* meet the sensible requirement of, you know, being larger than your
previous version number).

I know one shouldn't test for version numbers but feature presence, but
... Seriously? Are you *trying* to alienate and confuse users on
purpose?

On the plus side, I hope it'll drive even more folks to Tumbleweed which
does have a nice and tidy incremental scheme and none of this madness.

Oh, also?

Thanks to everyone involved in this so far, I'm looking forward to
seeing what we make out of Leap 15, and even though I cross-posted
this I would like to ask that any followup conversation is kept to the
opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx thread.

Conversation implies dialogue. Apparently, the best one can do here is
rant and whine about a decision that has already been reached. That
works for a corporate context, but making such a publicly visible
decision that exposes the community to ridicule and confusion behind
closed doors? You might as well have announced to switch the default DE
to Unity.

And now I'll pretend to be a grown-up with a life. But the eye-rolling
was getting to painful and needed an outlet.

Regards,
Lars

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284
(AG N├╝rnberg)