Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:26:37 +0200
On 23 April 2017 at 10:08, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 01:37:48PM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi all,

On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
be:

openSUSE Leap 15

As with Leap 42.x, minor releases are expected annually for at least 3
years, so you can expect a Leap 15.1 to follow, then 15.2 and onwards.

What would be wrong with openSUSE Leap 45.x ... to align the 1-digit with the
SLE release :/

Ciao, Marcus

The Board considered nothing wrong with the idea of Leap 45.x, but it
would require almost the same amount of explanation as Leap 15,
without the benefit of tidying up RPM macros for packagers and
aligning Leaps version with SLE like we wanted to do in the first
place.

So we decided to take the 'leap' and made the most of the opportunity
available by SLE's version change.
I don't regret the decision, so far no one has raised any new
practical concerns regarding the decision, just emotional ones - and
we would have gotten such complaints whichever option we picked. The
challenge was picking the one we think we could be happiest with for
the long term, which I think we've managed.

Worst case, lots of people on the big wide internet are now reading
about how Leap is very close to SLE and has synchronised their version
numbers. That's a message I'm quite happy to be spreading.

At the same time our dalliance with 42 and now jumping to 15 could be
seen to show openSUSE as a slightly eccentric, free spirited,
independent open source community, which we are, and I don't mind if
the world sees us that way.

No one ever said every decision in open source has to make sense all
of the time, just that we do our best to make the most sense we can
all the time, which I think we are doing.