Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Members retirement
On 03/21/2016 11:12 AM, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
Robert Schweikert píše v Po 21. 03. 2016 v 11:01 -0400:
On 03/21/2016 10:45 AM, PatrickD Garvey wrote:

I want to emphasize the "Link Rot" aspect of disabling an email
address. It has been mentioned, but doesn't seem to be generating
any
awareness of the problem it represents.

Email addresses are not just used in store and forward
communications
systems. They are used in mailing list and forum communication.
They
are also in design, training, use and standards documents and bug
reports. They appear in old blog and news articles. It is not
inappropriate for someone looking for additional historical
information to attempt communication with a "retired" participant.
My
former colleagues at my previous employers know where to find me.

How do you view the side effect of disabling the forwarding of
email
sent to an @openSUSE.org address on these uses?

Yes, I also think this is a problem and IMHO a very undesirable side
effect of the decisions made at the Board F2F meeting. Michal K., I
think, provided a very nice description of the problem.

However the reaction has been that those participating in the
discussion
have been accused of not reading the meeting minutes and follow up
messages. Additionally there appears to be the insistence that there
is
not really an impact by the coming changes.

Michal K. even proposed a potential solution that would allow the
"safe
guarding" of @opensuse.org for only active members but this also
appears
to be conveniently ignored.

The more or less logical conclusion from this would be to not use
@opensuse.org if you have one, as it may become disabled at some
point
in the future and then people have no way of contacting you.

Later,
Robert

I still find your complaint about "suddenly loosing contact" quite
moot.
If the person won't react in couple of months on request to confirm

Well the last time I checked 30 days did not cover a couple of months.

his/her presence what makes you think such person would react on any
other mail sent to that address.

Well it goes back to what was described already in the thread. The
person is in the dilemma of either "claiming to be still interested",
even if they are not just to be reachable or just dropping it and thus
become unreachable via @opensuse.org.

I don't think we should be so arrogant as to presume that a person that
no longer actively contributes to openSUSE, and thus does not respond to
the "are you still interested" message will not respond to other e-mail.

Most of the projects actually do the same if they retire somebody.
Think of it like company email. You get one while you "work" on the
thing and if you decide to move on the email changes.

Yes, that part is rather obvious.

Or did any of
your former employers let you keep your email. Or when I think of it
did your university let you keep your student email?

I don't but many schools do let students keep their addresses. You can
still reach Ted at his @mit.edu address for example.

Also we can be really really nice and actually keep the aliases on
autoreply that would say something like "Hello this guy is no longer
with us, last known email address is bla@xxxxxxxxxxx".

That was Michal K.'s suggestion.

Later,
Robert