Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Members retirement
Jim Henderson - 2:27 21.03.16 wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:03:20 +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:

Q: Will retired members retain their email & IRC cloak perks?

A: No, the intention is that retired members will no longer be eligible
for @opensuse.org email addresses and Freenode IRC cloaks.

So the plan is to break existing mail addresses once someone becomes
inactive? That makes it less likely that people actually use their
@opensuse.org mail address because "it could go away". That also means
less "advertising" for openSUSE.

I'd propose to keep the mail address even for retired members (unless
someone actively asks to drop it, or it starts bouncing mails).

I don't have such strong feelings for the IRC cloak, but keeping them
means more advertising for openSUSE whenever someone joins or leaves a
channel ;-)

I would have to agree - leave the e-mail forwarder in place, and the IRC
cloak (though I'm with Christian - I've been waiting for several years
for my IRC cloak to be set up, but I'm not on IRC that much anyways, so
that bothers me a lot less). Breaking an e-mail address that people
might use just because they don't care to vote seems excessive.

It is not because they don't care to vote, it is because we haven't seen any
activity from them and they did not react to warnings that they will loose it.
AFAIK domain registrators does it in similar manner. They send you few email-s
and if you don't react, you loose the e-mail. We can send several mails as
well.