[opensuse-project] Re: SUSE Studio drops 13.1
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 02:24:14 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:05:31 +0100, Michal Hrusecky wrote:

Martin Pluskal - 19:24 20.03.16 wrote:
Dne 20.03.2016 v 18:59 Axel Braun napsal(a):
Gents,

quite sad to hear that SUSE Studio drops openSUSE 13.1!

As 13.1 is Evergreen AND the ast long-term 32bit openSUSE its worth
keeping it! Sure, we have 13.2 at the start, but the 13.2 Studio
template always caused more trouble than the 13.1 version....

Can we do something from the project side to keep 13.1?

Cheers Axel

Don't ask what openSUSE can do for you, ask what you can do for
openSUSE.

I think that is what is he asking. AFAIK as already mentioned, probably
nothing. Except buying SUSE Studio license, server and setting his own
instance supporting old openSUSE.

Something which is a non-trivial thing, both financially and
configuration-wise. There is no good documentation for running a SUSE
Studio onsite instance and creating your own builds - at least, there
wasn't when I looked at it myself.

I looked at doing that myself once upon a time, and the answers I got
about how to set up for openSUSE builds were along the lines of "why
would you want to do that when you can build SLE instead?". When I
pushed on it, it was suggested that I use kiwi instead.

I'll grant you that I was using an NFR license available through the
technical subscriptions library (and thus an instance that was for my own
personal educational use locally), but still, I was extremely
disappointed at the lack of good documentation on how to configure SUSE
Studio and the lack of assistance available to those who wanted to set up
their own instance to build openSUSE appliances locally.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson