Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Members retirement
On 03/20/2016 09:08 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Christian,

On 20 March 2016 at 14:03, Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That makes it less likely that people actually use their
@opensuse.org mail address because "it could go away". That also means
less "advertising" for openSUSE.

I'd propose to keep the mail address even for retired members (unless
someone actively asks to drop it, or it starts bouncing mails).

I understand where you are coming from, but with the planned approach
being implemented with the philosophy of "you are a member as long as
you want to be one" then members only have to worry about the address
"going away" if they no longer want to be a member

I don't think it's too much to ask that people maintain an interest in
the openSUSE Project if they are going to represent us with an
@opensuse.org email address

It is not too much to ask, IMHO. However, the proposal as a re-run still
comes with the ignorance of issues that were raise previously by those
that have taken part in these types of discussions over the years.

Those concerns were often about timing and yes they can be interpreted
as theoretical. However as they keep re-appearing, the issues are real
to those that are concerned. Not addressing the issues and moving
forward with what is basically unmodified does not help, IMHO.

For example, a person that is involved with the project but does not
show up in the statistics collected by the tool(s) gets the "hey are you
still around" e-mail, so far so good. But lets say that for whatever
reason the e-mail gets lost or gets no response for 30 days, then the
member is retired, if I understand things correctly.

This is not necessarily a big deal as the "just send us a message and
your status gets changed back to active with no questions asked" policy
makes the reinstatement process easy. However, that does not address the
fact that for the person that is actually an active member their
@opensuse.org e-mail was deactivated for at least some period of time.

Maybe this can be addressed by different time periods and different
e-mail notifications. Maybe a retired member gets to keep @opensuse.org
for a year and receives multiple messages during that year. I have no
idea what the best solution is. I do know from having been part of these
conversations a very long time that 30 days is not considered to be
sufficient by many people.

Later,
Robert

Public Cloud Architect LINUX