Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Board Face-to-Face Meeting 2016 Minutes - Part 1/3
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:49:11 +0100
On 20 March 2016 at 14:29, Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 20. März 2016, 13:31:18 CET schrieb Richard Brown:
We discussed the shape of how we'd like to see the wiki
We all agreed want to see a big tidy up. Many of the Portals have
little benefit and serve little purpose. We want to see the namespaces
removed/flattened to help the search

Please don't confuse the search with the wiki layout ;-)

I'm not saying that the wiki doesn't need cleanup, but configuring the
search is independent on that. For example, instead of searching only
some namespaces by default and ignoring everything else, it should be
configured to give those namespaces a higher weight, but still search all
other namespaces (with reduced weight, so that results from them usually
appear at the end of the search results). That's possible and was
already discussed long time ago, but nobody implemented it. (One more
thing that needs direct access to the server or at least the config
files.)

Understood and agreed - writing minutes has a habit of cutting down
the details of what was discussed. We actually went into more detail
about the other reasons we really dislike the namespaces, such as the
complexity it brings..how is a user meant to know what SDB means? or
HCL? Namespaces add confusion and raise the barrier of entry to new
wiki pages..and we don't think it really helps..too much structure and
rules just get in the way..lets keep the wiki simple and easy for
everyone to understand and contribute to

Once we fixed it that is ;)