Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Why Cheap 64-bit Intel Hardware is Better than Old 32-bit Hardware
  • From: Łukasz 'Cyber Killer' Korpalski <cyberkiller8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:55:08 +0100
W dniu 12.12.2015 o 22:00, Malcolm pisze:

I gave away all my 32bit stuff although I still have a VIA Artigo I may
keep, just like my sparc systems...

And in effect the problem didn't go away, it only changed hands. Now
somebody else will want to have a 32bit OS to put on that.

All in all, unless something meaningful happens in the tech world, I
think we will see working 32bit hardware at least until 2020.
Effectively until it totally breaks down.

Some of these machines aren't easy to replace, e.g. the netbooks use a
32bit intel atom cpu. Since then there isn't any machine type that if
fit to replace them (ultrabooks are larger, netbooks were 10" or 8").
That's a nifty, handy machine to carry around, which needs a 32bit
system. And that's only 1 of the examples.

The easy replaceable machines are normal desktops and laptops, and there
probably aren't many of those around that have 32bit cpus. But it's the
machines with uncommon form factors, that people want to keep running
despite aging hardware, cause there isn't anything suitable to replace
them (no, android tablets are not a replacement, unless they'll allow to
install a totally custom OS).

--
Łukasz "Cyber Killer" Korpalski

mail: cyberkiller8@xxxxxxxxx
xmpp: cyber_killer@xxxxxxxxxx
site: http://website.cybkil.cu.cc
gpgkey: 0x72511999 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net

//When replying to my e-mail, kindly please
//write your message below the quoted text.

< Previous Next >