Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:49:38 +0100
On 14 December 2015 at 11:40, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am not Evergreen 'bashing', but it's important that this project
makes decisions based on the realities of our contributors and their
decisions

every contributor can talk here

Yup, but if every contributor did talk everywhere, then the Board
wouldn't need to have 'Facilitate communication' under it's list of
responsibilities.

Given this thread was encouraging more work from a great many more
maintainers than just the 'core' Evergreen team, I think it's
important to make the situation as it stands today very clear.

is that not the exact meaning of "discouraging"?

Realities like "Evergreen has no one maintaining it after November
2016" may be discouraging, but they're important to be aware of,
accept, and then resolve

The Project is never going to succeed if we close our eyes and pretend
things are different from they are. Ignorance may be bliss, but
contributions can only exist when people know they can be done.

And so, cycling back to Axel's original post

I do not see the point of discussing broad support for Evergreen
across many additional repositories when the expected end of life of
Evergreen is in November 2016

This isn't 'bashing' - if Evergreen had people standing up and saying
'yes, we have done our homework and we're dedicated to supporting
Evergreen until 2017 and beyond' then believe me, I'd repeating that
loudly and making sure maintainers consider that when deciding what
build targets to include in their projects

But that's not the case..and I think we'd all agree it's better for
the Project to make decisions based on how things are, not how we'd
like them to be