Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:07:52 +0100
On 14 December 2015 at 10:53, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 14 of December 2015 10:21:19 Richard Brown wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 07:51, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
All the time people complain about the lack of active contributors.
And then when a group of people makes the effort and contribute,
openSUSE Board chairman goes a long way to actively discourage
potential users and contributors of the project. I find such
approach really disturbing.

I would prefer the former - and I strongly hope that the views
presented by Richard Brown in this discussion are only his personal
and do not represent the official position of openSUSE project.

The views I am presenting are nothing more then the concise repetition
of the currently stated decisions by the established contributors to
the Evergreen project
Don't shoot the messenger, and as you clearly didn't know about this
situation

The quotes you presented only confirm that what you wrote is your
personal interpretation and the actual situation is different. The
future of Evergreen 13.1 after November 2016 is still open and depends
on contributors joining the effort. Statements like "There will be no
Evergreen 13.1 after November 2016." from someone in your position can
be extremely harmful.

I said, and I quote from my mail from 19 hours ago

"I know that Evergreen 13.1 will die in November 2016 unless other
people step in to do the work which Wolfgang is currently doing"

I understand that you would prefer everyone moving to Tumbleweed or at
least (latest) Leap - but you should restrain yourself from abusing your
role to actively discourage people from participating in projects just
because they are incompatible with your personal views and wishes. With
power, responsibility comes - and Board chairman should be responsible
enough to restrain oneself from this kind of manipulation.

My responsibilities includes supporting and communicating the
decisions made by this community

Right now, the decisions made by our contributors, will lead to
Evergreen ending on November 2016

I am in no position to challenge that, and yes, I have no interest
myself in doing anything about that..if I did, I would be volunteering
to help

If people want to change things, they can, I and no one else can stop
them, but they need to understand what the current situation is..and
that is what I have done here

I don't see how I could do it any differently

Being silent would be unhelpful - Axel and others would continue under
the impression that Evergreen has a likelihood of continuing after
November 2016.

Encouraging others to step in would be dishonest - It goes against
what I think is best for the Project

It would also be an abuse of my position - I am not the Lead Evergreen
maintainer, Wolfgang is - it's his right and responsibility to decide
how Evergreen continues (or doesn't).
It's his right to define and advertise Evergreen needs for
contributors. He knows infinitely more than me what is required. It's
future is in it's hands.
It's not the Chairman's job to take over and countermand decisions
made by contributors.

And so the only rational, honest, and responsible path available to me
is to clearly state the situation with Evergreen as I see it.

It will end in November 2016 unless people step up to do it.

Maybe this is a rather blunt form of communicating it, but delicate
flowery words don't always seem to work. This is the situation Michal,
criticise me all you want, isn't going to change the simple rule -
openSUSE only does what openSUSE contributors decide to do..