Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
Morning,

On 13 December 2015 at 13:47, Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx> wrote:
Morning all,

to shorten and summarize the discussion....

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2015, 19:08:36 schrieb Richard Brown:
it's what is discussed here, only for 13.1, no reason to start again a
32/64 war... Leap 64 bits is the obvious successor, but may be later

Yes, but Axel is pushing for a broadening of scope, encouraging repo
maintainers to do extra work to keep maintaining their repos for 13.1
after the end of 13.1's official support...

First of all I'm asking not to remove 13.1 as repo - whether the build target
is called 13.1 or Evergreen, I honestly dont care.
(in the larger context, if 13.1 is the last evergreen as mentioned here, it
would not make sence the have a separate Evergreen target)

and I'm pointing out that it's easier said, than done, and trying to
give Axel and everyone else the background information why that is a
lot of work, possible more than Axel realised before he made his
request

Wolfgang and his team did an excellent job, and I'm confident they will
continue to do so.

Please be confident that they will only do it until November 2016.
Wolfgang has made things quite clear that he will NOT be doing it
after that date, and has given the strong impression that he is only
doing it upto that date out of his feelings of obligation based on his
previous statements.

What really the end of lifecycle for 13.1 will be - no one knows yet (patches
for 11.4 are still accepted).

I know that Evergreen 13.1 will die in November 2016 unless other
people step in to do the work which Wolfgang is currently doing

But we should not give away tons of packages by just removing 13.1 from the
repos. (IMO, that was always the weakness in Evergreen)

Why not? The openSUSE project produces software which is _maintained_
and _supported_.

If maintainers can no longer maintain or support versions for 13.1,
they shouldn't feel obligated to continue to do so. If we wanted them
to support everything forever, we'd have support periods of forever...

As we saw from the discussion, there is a need to keep the 32bit release
alive, and not everyone can or will uprade the hardware. New 64 bit hardware
is always more expensive that already paid 32 bit hardware, not even
considering resource usage.

The clear definition of need is meaningless if no one is willing to do
it - Those who do, decide.

And I'm still waiting to see people step up to make a 32-bit port of
Leap. We have ARM and PPC ports, but no x86-32bit.