Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 13:47:33 +0100
Morning all,

to shorten and summarize the discussion....

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2015, 19:08:36 schrieb Richard Brown:
it's what is discussed here, only for 13.1, no reason to start again a
32/64 war... Leap 64 bits is the obvious successor, but may be later

Yes, but Axel is pushing for a broadening of scope, encouraging repo
maintainers to do extra work to keep maintaining their repos for 13.1
after the end of 13.1's official support...

First of all I'm asking not to remove 13.1 as repo - whether the build target
is called 13.1 or Evergreen, I honestly dont care.
(in the larger context, if 13.1 is the last evergreen as mentioned here, it
would not make sence the have a separate Evergreen target)

and I'm pointing out that it's easier said, than done, and trying to
give Axel and everyone else the background information why that is a
lot of work, possible more than Axel realised before he made his
request

Wolfgang and his team did an excellent job, and I'm confident they will
continue to do so.

What really the end of lifecycle for 13.1 will be - no one knows yet (patches
for 11.4 are still accepted).

But we should not give away tons of packages by just removing 13.1 from the
repos. (IMO, that was always the weakness in Evergreen)

As we saw from the discussion, there is a need to keep the 32bit release
alive, and not everyone can or will uprade the hardware. New 64 bit hardware
is always more expensive that already paid 32 bit hardware, not even
considering resource usage.

Regarding the question what happens if software is updated to version that
will simply not build properly on Evergreen:
Probably a decision on the use case: If you eagerly need it, you may need to
patch yoursefl. Or use the last binaries available, that will mostly serve the
job.

Cheers
Axel