Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
On Sat, 2015-12-12 at 13:50 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
On 12 December 2015 at 12:40, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 12/12/2015 12:08, Richard Brown a écrit :

- Evergreen 13.1 only has a planned support period of January 2016 to
November 2016.

(I agree with the rest of your mail)

may be our work could be to make shift to Leap easier. I mean better doc,
may be upgrade scripts (Wagon??).

Wagon was never supported for openSUSE and is no longer supported for
SLE. It is also irrelevant as this discussion includes additional
repositories, and wagon used to remove all repositories that weren't
part of the main distribution :)

the problem is not upgrade but problems coming during upgrades, so if we can
make this a bare minimum, we can go on.

for example, could we could collect the "zypper lr" of interested people,
eventually build a common VirtualBox test appliance...

and write accurate doc of how to go from one to the other?

Adding repositories to your machine makes it in many respects
'unsupported' and 'unsupportable' - it adds complexity, that
complexity makes it very hard to write accurate, meaningful
documentation, because you can very easily add stuff to your system
that would invalidate what is intended by the distribution

The issue is that there is useful software that is only available in
repositories, and if I didn't have those I would probably be forced to
switch back to Debian, and I'm not the only one.

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix