[opensuse-project] Why Cheap 64-bit Intel Hardware is Better than Old 32-bit Hardware
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 19:26:39 +0100
Hi All,

As the impending death of 32-bit support for openSUSE is coming
sometime between November 2016 (EoL of Evergreen 13.1) and early 2017
(Expected End of Life of openSUSE 13.2) I wanted to address some
concerns surrounding the move to 64-bit

I guess the easiest way of tackling this is by addressing the 'Myths' directly

64-bit hardware is not expensive

Brand New, fully featured, Intel 64-bit hardware like the Intel
Compute Stick can be purchased for $85 (US Dollars)

It comes with 1GB RAM, 8GB Storage, can plug into any screen with a
HDMI port and is powered by USB

The 'Windows' Model only costs $10 more and provides double the RAM
and 4x the storage

There are many Intel NUC desktop boxes which start at prices around
$124 and stay under $200 until you start getting to some of the
fancier models. (though you may need to add a hard drive or RAM as
most NUCs are sold 'barebones')

These are perfect sufficient machines for replacing whatever 32-bit
use cases you may have. In the case of the Intel NUC, Intel even go as
far as saying that openSUSE is officially supported! :)

These machines are still going to be many times faster than whatever
old 32-bit hardware is still lurking out there. While I understand ANY
money might be 'too much' for some, I do think that it's important to
make clear that 64-bit hardware is really not that expensive.

64-bit hardware, even (or especially) the cheap examples I suggest
above, benefit from years of laptop and data centre hardware
development. They're smaller, lighter, quieter (important if you're
running this at home) and more power efficient.

I've even seen some maths that suggest that in some cases buying a NUC
or a Compute Stick might even pay for itself compared to a 32-bit
machine on the power consumption factor alone.

So, 64-bit is faster
It's better for your power bill and the environment
It's quieter in your house or data centre
It's not terribly expensive to buy
It's also a heck of a lot cheaper for everyone in the openSUSE
community to support as it's far more common than 32-bit hardware
these days and therefore a lot more of us are likely to have the
hardware you need to reproduce issues

In short, if you're clinging on to your 32-bit machines for dear life
and are thinking the world will end with the End of Life of Evergreen
or openSUSE 13.2, please consider a hardware refresh.. There's lots of
benefits for the little investment it may cost you..

Regards,

Richard