Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 19:08:36 +0100
On 12 December 2015 at 19:00, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 12/12/2015 18:39, Richard Brown a écrit :

13.1 released in November 2013 - Support is what we're discussing here
13.1 64-bit downloads 60138
13.1 32-bit downloads 39836
Proportion of 32-bit downloads = 39%

do you know of any enterprise that can leave 39% of his customers?

We're not an enterprise, we're a volunteer Project - we build what our
community of volunteers collectively decide they are able or willing
to support

It's a very different situation from an enterprise which has a
commercial interest in supporting it's paying customers.

The only way for an openSUSE user to 'pay' the openSUSE Project is by
contributing
If we had contributors (aka 'paying customers') working on 32-bit
openSUSE, we'd be still doing 32-bit openSUSE

I know I'm making this sound very blunt and simple, but at it's heart,
that really is how simple this whole thing is; if people want 32-bit
Intel support in openSUSE, they have to do the work.

Meanwhile, I think I can safely say that lots of current openSUSE
contributors have made it clear they're either actively interested in
not supporting it (like I am, I'm not shy in saying that), or at least
disinterested in it.

And I think it's safe to say that the openSUSE community, as a whole,
has demonstrated a lack of desire to support 32-bit Intel going
forward - if there was volunteers willing to do it, we'd be doing it
:)

I regret that Leap not have 32 bits, but I can live with it. We only discuss
now having *one* version (13.1) keeping 32 bits, for some years if possible

With the current End of Life of Evergreen being November 2016 and the
predicted End of Life of openSUSE 13.2 being somewhere between
November 2016 and Feburary 2017, I do find some of this debate around
Evergreen/13.1 a little peculiar, as 13.2 will almost certainly be
around for longer.

It is a consequence of no other maintainers in the openSUSE community
volunteering to do that work

and of nobody documenting the hole process of building openSUSE.

That's not the problem - something like distribution building is
better taught hands on anyhow, and our existing maintainers have
volunteered to mentor those interested - Those who made noise on the
lists about this previously did not take up our maintainers offer.

It's within our power to change, if there are people within this
community willing to do the work, build, test, and maintain a 32-bit
distribution.

it's what is discussed here, only for 13.1, no reason to start again a 32/64
war... Leap 64 bits is the obvious successor, but may be later

Yes, but Axel is pushing for a broadening of scope, encouraging repo
maintainers to do extra work to keep maintaining their repos for 13.1
after the end of 13.1's official support...

and I'm pointing out that it's easier said, than done, and trying to
give Axel and everyone else the background information why that is a
lot of work, possible more than Axel realised before he made his
request :)